Saturday, January 26, 2008

History of St. Joseph Inst. for the Deaf Mutes Research



(View on less than 3 minutes subtitling video)

SJI was educated in Sign Language in St. Louis from 1837 to 1934. 97 years of Sign Language Education for the Deaf!
SJI is not diversity educate by using only oralism for about 73 years to now.

Hello Tar! Thank you so much for your wonderful educating me with subtitling. I enjoyed experiement after I downloaded to save my first part of video then have that first video part to be made in Double Up Speed from my Windows Movie Maker. It works well with my other part of my 2nd video to research on my way to the French Revolutionary War. Just wondering how Deaf people survived in French Revolutionary War. Gotta go grab my sleeping hours before go work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A pioneering thing you did here. Sub-altern deaf history! Yes, straight from Ladd's book. Regular deaf people researching on their own histories. Enough of hearing professional historians, more of us telling stories about our history. I commend you heartedly for doing this.

St. Joesph is one of quite a number of Catholic schools for the Deaf. Mary in Buffalo, Rita in Cincinnati, John in Chicago, Joesph again in the Bronx, and few others. That Catholic part of overall deaf education history is a small part of the bigger picture of deaf history. The stories of ordinary lives of deaf people in the panorama of deaf history is mostly unwritten/signed and lost.

I think that your post will serve as an example for scores others to do the same as what you did here.

Suggestions for you and others who want to do what you did, at the end of the clip, just list the books or articles you got the information from. Don't worry about correct phrasing, just put them down. Author, title, date, etc.

And congratulations on subtitling your signing. We can subtitle or type out the text below (like barb digi and others do). Good job mixing images, text, and signing.

May 2008 and thereafter bring more sophisticated vlogs like this one. I pray this will encourage you to do more like this, however time-consuming it can be.

handwave here to you.

ASL Risen said...

CNKatz,

Oh geez, my bad for not giving out more info with Author, title, date and etc!!! Sorry for not being a good student while I was busy with my heavy work schedule!

Thanks for your remind! hugs, Shawn